UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation is the successful combination of 35 years of insulation experience and a revolutionary patented manufacturing process that has created a superior and safe product.
UltraTouch is made from high-quality natural fibers. These fibers contain inherent qualities that provide for extremely effective sound absorption and maximum thermal performance. UltraTouch has No Fiberglass Itch and is easy to handle and work with. UltraTouch contains no chemical irritants and requires no warning labels compared to other traditional products. There are no VOC concerns when using UltraTouch, as it is safe for you and the environment.
UltraTouch is also a Class-A Building Product and meets the highest ASTM testing standards for fire and smoke ratings, fungi resistance and corrosiveness. UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation contains 80% post-consumer recycled natural fibers making it an ideal choice for anyone looking to use a high quality sustainable building material.
UltraTouch makes installation user-friendly. The inclusion of perforated batts allows for quick and easy off-size cavity installation. Simply measure, tear, fit and you’re done!
Features & Benefits
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is UltraTouch made from recycled blue jeans?
- Yes, UltraTouch is manufactured using post-consumer denim and cotton fibers that we source from various facilities. UltraTouch contains approx 80% recycled denim and cotton fibers.
- Do I need protective clothing to install UltraTouch?
- UltraTouch has no fiberglass itch and is easy to handle. A dust mask is recommended for all construction work.
- Is UltraTouch Fire Resistant?
- Yes, each natural fiber of UltraTouch is saturated with a natural fire retardant (borates) giving UltraTouch insulation a Class-A fire rating.
- What are the perforations?
- UltraTouch contains several pieces per bag that are perforated for off-size cavity installations. Simply measure your cavity and tear along a perforation to create the properly sized piece. The batt should be roughly 0.5″ wider than the actual cavity.
- Can UltraTouch be installed in contact with recessed lighting?
- Yes, UltraTouch can be installed in contact with recessed lighting but the lighting MUST be IC Rated. An air gap of six inches would need to be left for non-insulated lighting cans.
- What happens when UltraTouch gets wet?
- UltraTouch is manufactured to breathe and accept/release the moisture it receives in a timely manner. UltraTouch also contains active mold inhibitors as well.
- Will mold affect UltraTouch?
- The fire retardant used in making UltraTouch also acts as an excellent mold and mildew inhibitor.
- Does UltraTouch contain formaldehyde?
- No, UltraTouch does not contain any added formaldehyde or harmful irritants.
- Does UltraTouch have a vapor barrier?
- No, UltraTouch is manufactured in batt form and is unfaced. If your local building code requires the use of a vapor barrier, we recommend a semi-permeable barrier be used.
- What is the best way to cut UltraTouch?
- If a properly sized piece of insulation cannot be created using the perforations, please visit the “Cutting” section of the UltraTouch Denim Insulation product page for tips.
Because UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation is compressed for shipping purposes, give it a shake prior to installing. This will help accelerate the natural rebounding properties of the fibers. Depending upon climate and environmental conditions, full rebound may take several days.
Install UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation between the studs by simply fitting each batt firmly into place. UltraTouch is engineered to fit standard 16″ O.C and 24″ O.C. framing with no additional sizing required. If you encounter an off-size cavity, either tear along a perforation or cut to create the proper fit. Your piece of insulation should be approx. 0.5″ wider and longer than the actual cavity. If building codes require a vapor barrier, it should be applied towards the living area after insulation installation.
Cut or tear the insulation to fit snugly around obstructions such as plumbing, vent lines, and electrical boxes. Use any left over pieces to fill small openings around windows and doors.
For exterior walls, most municipalities will require a vapor barrier to be installed. The question of appropriate vapor barrier usage is not determined by Bonded Logic Inc. This issue depends entirely on your local climate and your local building codes. Please contact your local building code office and inquire about the recommendation for your area. If a vapor barrier is required, Bonded Logic Inc recommends the use of a permeable barrier. A permeable barrier will allow your walls to “breathe” while still stopping moisture transfer.
Helpful Hint: Did you know that a single continuous vapor retarder is a more effective vapor retarder than individual kraft faced batt’s? It also requires less labor!
UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation are a friction fit product. This means that they are slightly oversized for standard wall cavities. To install, merely insert the batt between the studding and tuck it in to ensure a tight fit. Approximate 30% of the batt’s in each bag of UltraTouch are perforated for easy tearing to fit “off-size” cavities. Your piece of insulation should be approx. 0.5″ wider and longer than the actual cavity.
UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation can be layered to achieve higher R-Values in ceiling applications. It is best to alternate the direction of the batt’s in each layer. UltraTouch can be secured to the joists using either wire or a mesh. This will ensure the batt’s remain in place until drywall has been installed.
UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation is an effective option for insulating floors and crawlspaces as well. The insulation should be secured to floor joists or crawl space cavities in the same manner as ceiling applications, using either a mesh or wire support system. For crawlspaces specifically, a system of vapor barriers is recommended. The bare ground should be covered with a barrier as well as applied to the cavities before the insulation is installed (facing the warm side of the subfloor)
UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation is essentially a textile product and is therefore different to cut than traditional insulating products. The best way to cut UltraTouch is with a non-motorized product called the Insul-Knife. The Insul-Knife is available from Cepco Tool and can be purchased from Amazon.com as well as directly from Cepco Tool atwww.cepcotool.com.
Bosch Foam Rubber Cutter
For motorized cutting, the Bosch Foam Rubber Cutter 1575A works extremely well. A circular saw works well also. A fine tooth blade should be used and the blade should be installed with the teeth facing opposite of normal cutting installations. This will minimize shredding and tearing of the material and give you a smooth, clean cut.
Hand-Held Grinding Tool
A hand-held grinding tool is an effective way to cut UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation. These tools come in a variety of sizes and some are even cordless. This tool spins at a very high RPM, so caution should be used at all times. Anytime you are working with a motorized tool, the proper protective measures should be followed including wearing safety glasses or other eyewear.
Full-Length Table Saw
The quickest and easiest way to cut UltraTouch™ Denim Insulation in full lengths is the use of a table saw. A table saw will allow you to easily cut the material and change widths accurately and quickly. A fine tooth blade should be used and should be installed in reverse of normal operation (the teeth should be at an opposite angle than if cutting wood). As with any power tool, caution should be taken and proper eye protection should be used.
WATCH OUR VIDEO